how to use dried nettle leaf

01. December 2020 0

Put the nettle and the vodka in a jar (a pint size mason jar is great), put a lid on it and give it a shake. In manufacturing, stinging nettle extract is used as an ingredient in hair and skin products. Nettle infusion from young leaves is a safe, gentle diuretic—considered a restorative for the kidneys and bladder, and used for cystitis and nephritis. How to make nettle powder--so easy! P.P.S. If you are wanting to be sure your family gets enough greens, and especially with the high nutritional value found in Nettle, there IS a way to ensure they eat their nettles (or greens in general) without causing a ruckus. You can use dried nettle to make herbal tea blends. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Nettle leaf supports a healthy response during pollen season and nourishes your body year-round with its rich nutrient profile. Consult expert medical advice before using during pregnancy. You can make it from freshly harvested leaves or from dried nettle, readily available in most natural food stores’ bulk bins or online. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Dr. Lisa Bryant is Licensed Naturopathic Physician and natural medicine expert based in Portland, Oregon. How to Powder Dried Nettle Leaves This is so ridiculously easy: Step 1) Put your dried organic Nettle leaves into your spice grinder. You can sprinkle it on meats, salads, into salad dressings too. The method of taking stinging nettle will vary depending on its intended use. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/8c\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/8c\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-7.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Strain out the herb and enjoy! If it has been stored at a consistent temp without exposure to moisture and as little air as possible, it will be safe to use for years. And how can you add nettles to your eating plan if you don’t grow your own fresh stinging nettles? This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Why should you consider adding them to your diet? In addition to feeding the soil and roots, you can also spray diluted nettle tea onto a plant’s leaves. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. 5 out of 5 stars (35) 35 reviews. When I first heard the term, "Stinging Nettle" many years ago, I thought, "Yikes! I just have no idea if the same applies with dried nettle leaves, or not. This article was co-authored by Lisa Bryant, ND. Tip: Add some milk, honey, or fresh lemon juice to enhance the flavor of the tea! For a milder tasting tea, use 1  tsp (4.9 mL) of dried nettle leaf. Once boiling, turn off the heat and add in your Nettle leaf, taking care to stir it in. Stinging nettle root appears to have different pharmacological effects than the leaves. Step 1) Put your dried organic Nettle leaves into your spice grinder. How to eat your nettles when you don’t want to touch them in the first place? You can drink as much of the infusion as you like, but for the best results, try to consume up to 4 US quarts (3.8 L) a week. After all, it's GREEN, which can factor into being a turn off for some folks, especially kids. To make a nettle infusion, steep 1 to 3 tablespoons of dried nettle leaf in a cup of water for 4 to 8 hours. Here are 6 evidence-based benefits of stinging nettle. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3a\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3a\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-2.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. That's really a LOT of Nettle leaves too. Have you been considering learning about Herbalism or how to become an Herbalist? wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. No one's the wiser! There are 21 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. While the leaves are processed to make nettle juice, the root of the plant can also be used, too. Making an infusion requires a lot of the dried herb, so measure out about 1 cup (240 mL) of the nettle leaf by volume. Nettle Tea: One of the best and easiest ways to use nettle is to make an infusion (a strong tea) using the dried leaf. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. The active compounds in stinging nettles are reported to deter aphids, mites, and thrips. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Freeze-dried preparations of nettle leaf are also available. In The Green Pharmacy, James Duke mentions nettle’s historical use as a cough remedy, among many other uses. Please always do your due diligence and research any herbal or prescription medication you put in your body. How to make a nettle tincture. Serve. X References. Much of the information here about the traditional uses of Nettle leaf is consistent with the model of thinking whereby one may treat problem A with plant B. For nettle leaf that is free-floating in the water, let it steep for 15 minutes. FTC Disclosure: There are affiliate links scattered throughout this article. I keep my shaker jar on top of my stove, and whenever I cook anything, I sprinkle some in! Nettle garden fertilizer is also referred to as stinging nettle manure, both because of its use as a food source for plants and also possibly in reference to its smell as it brews. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. However, there is just nothing better, more natural, and healthy than good old green plants for making sure your body is getting the best nutrition. How to make homemade nettle leaf powder. (Titrating means to increase doses of the product until results are achieved. In fact, it has so much calcium that it is an excellent remedy for growing pains in children. However, clinical trials are limited. Use it in times of depletion to help restore vitality or when extra nourishment is called for such as during pregnancy and lactation To make a nettle infusion, steep 1 to 3 tablespoons of dried nettle leaf in a cup of water for 4 to 8 hours. The leaves can be steeped as nettle tea, incorporated into herbal infusion blends, and added to soups and broths. Infuse the nettle into oil; Another very effective way to use Nettle leaf extract is by creating an oil infusion. Nettle, along with Dandelion, Burdock, Chickweed, and so many others can serve these dual purposes. Strain out the herb and enjoy! After about 10 hours, the water will have extracted as much as it can and bacteria can start to form in the water. Discard the stems when you’re done with them but be careful not to prick yourself with the thorns. Stinging nettle capsules are usually offered in 300-milligram to 900-milligram formulations and are generally considered safe at these doses. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. So..why and how would you want to make and use Nettle Powder? When applied as a foliar spray, stinging nettle tea works as a strong insect repellent. I love this herb school, and they have courses for every level and even a variety of specific herbal interests such as herbal fermentation or dealing with stress. It’s also naturally rich in iron, and it may help improve allergy symptoms. Step 2) Grind until you have a fine powder. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. I have a grinder dedicated to herbs and spices---if you double your coffee grinder as an herb grinder, you will have some really funky tasting herbs!). There is a quick method for making nettle fertilizer and a long range method. Here's a picture of dried Nettle leaves and the powdered counter part! How to Use Dried Stinging Nettle. And enjoy in and on your other foods. Nettle Dried Herb Ingredients: Organically cultivated nettle leaf and stem (Urtica dioica) Cautions: *This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. To use nettle leaf, you can either make a cup of tea or infuse a large quantity of the herb with water. This is a major advantage of this approach of using nettle oil extract. I simply share my own advice based on years of study and experience for informational purposes only. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Don't forget to sign up for our Newsletter and never miss a thing! This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. How to Make Nettle Tea Generally, one teaspoon of fresh or dried nettle per cup of tea is a good ratio, though some people use up to four teaspoons of dry leaf per 2/3 cup water. 1. If you live in the U.S., check that the leaves are USDA certified organic. Put them in a soup to help reduce any bitterness in the nettle leaf. P.S. This article was co-authored by Lisa Bryant, ND. Urinary tract health. There are many variations of nettle tea recipes that feature a number of other herbs like raspberry leaf, echinacea or goldenseal. Your dried stinging nettles will be good and safe for use within 6 to 12 months. Sneaky, right? Pour boiling water over it and let it seep for 10 to 15 minutes. There are no guidelines for the appropriate use of stinging needle supplements. Hair products Nettle is said to help clear clogged hair follicles, which correspondingly helps prevent hair loss. How to Use: Dried stinging nettle has a robust, earthy flavour that is less herbaceous than the fresh leaves. It may even be downright nutritious. Nettle is available in various forms including the fresh leaves, dried/freeze-dried leaves, capsules, tinctures, extracts, and creams. She earned a Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine from the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon and completed her residency in Naturopathic Family Medicine there in 2014. Powdered herbs, including Nettle, can be sprinkled and used on all kinds of dishes---and guess what? I just LOVE when an herb can be used as a delicious food source as well as medicine. However, there are a couple of caveats. Anti-microbial. I buy my organic Nettle leaves from Starwest Botanicals. Cut them over a bowl or colander so you can collect them as you remove them. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. When I flip them and the top browns, the Nettle is no longer seen! Strain out nettle. Nettle is well-known for its high iron content and it is often recommended to people suffering from iron deficiency. As we already know, dried nettle leaves are a concentrated source of iron (1), and when you use nettle leaf powder in cooking, you are using the entire leaf. Add cheese to it and make a tasty side dish or dip. How to Use Stinging Nettle Tea as Fertilizer . Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica)is a fast-growing wild plant common across all of North America, though it prefers the moist, forested soil of the Pacific Northwest. How to make and use nettle powder---You'll want to know why you should be eating nettles every day and how to easily get them into your diet without upsetting everyone with all the extra "greens." You can use a fine mesh strainer to sieve out any larger parts, but I really don't bother with this. Cover with a lid and let steep for a few minutes. You'll also get my eBooks on herbal topics, using essential oils, and getting your homestead started all FREE and a LOT more in the password protected Resource Library! Dried nettle leaf should be stored in an airtight container, away from light and heat. When mixed in a cup of water, homemade nettle leaf powder can be used for the same purposes as tablets or capsules. 95 ($1.04/Ounce) FREE Shipping on your first order shipped by Amazon. Cook nettle and use it as you would spinach or any other green. Make sure the jar is clean before you use it. Talk to your doctor before you use nettle leaf cream to make sure it’s safe for you. (Don't use your coffee grinder! Some people find relief after taking a couple of grams, others may find they need as many as 15 grams.) This is my favourite one. Nettles are pretty easy to grow, but honestly, I just don't want to deal with the "stinging" part right now. I'm not naysaying vitamins, mind you--I take these myself. Keep your infusion covered while steeping. Infuse the nettle into oil; Another very effective way to use Nettle leaf extract is by creating an oil infusion. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e2\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-16.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-16.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e2\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-16.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-16.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Saute onions and mushrooms and add them to the greens for a heartier dish. Reviving nettle tea. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Stinging nettles get their name from the fact that their leaves are covered with tiny sharp needles that release a painful combination formic acid, histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), plus other unknown compounds. If you (or your family) is concerned about whether or not you are getting enough greens in your life, then solving this problem is easy! You must either grow them in the garden or have a nearby source to harvest them from the wild. Apply Nettle Hair Rinse. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/56\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/56\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-5.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Armed with a basket or paper bag, scissors, gloves, long pants, long sleeves and closed-toe shoes, you’re ready to head into the nettle patch. Take care not to over brew nettle, as this can result in a bitter taste. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/bf\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/bf\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-3.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Use gloves to avoid skin irritation caused by nettle stings. Place the jar in a cool, dark place, for 2-3 weeks and shake it daily. Names of Dead Nettle in various languages of the world are also given. :-). And it’s also a simple and superb way to use nettle for your hair. If you like, you can add a pinch of mint or licorice root for flavor. Drain the excess water off of the leaves before you cook them. You can use this method if you are getting the dried leaves of the plant to use. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Use a glass jar that has a lid you can seal. In foods, young stinging nettle leaves are eaten as a cooked vegetable. In summer I dont really measure things, I just full a container 3/4 with nettles and top up with water to the brim, leave it to for about 3 weeks then use on an about 10/20% dilution ratio. By using our site, you agree to our. Herbs for Liver Support and Detox (An Herbal Tea You Can Make Today), 18 Necessities I Never Buy at the Store Anymore & What I Do Instead, How to Make Magnesium Oil, and Why You Need Your Magnesium Every Day. Organic Nettle Leaf, Dried Cut and Sifted, Raw from Germany, All Natural, Non-GMO, No Gluten, 1.5 Pound (24 Ounce) 4.5 out of 5 stars 157. Nina Nelson on May 3, 2018 at 3:56 pm Hi Mike. :-) Like many other herbs, Nettle becomes pretty tasteless when used in powdered form. I have a grinder dedicated to herbs and spices---if you double your coffee grinder as an … While the herb may last longer than that, the nutritional properties and quality may start to deteriorate. Nettle has been used worldwide for centuries in a variety of countries and cultures. Just powder your green, dried herbs and plants. It's a common herb, and very easy to purchase fresh-dried and organic, high quality Nettle. The dried leaves can also be ground into a fine powder and added to other recipes to boost their nutritional value. Nettle powder can also be infused as a nutritive nettle tea, blended into herbal vinegars, or macerated as nettle leaf extract. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e8\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-12.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-12.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e8\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-12.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-12.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Making homemade nettle leaf powder is easy. 2. If you develop a rash or your pain increases, stop using the cream and contact your doctor. Stinging nettle leaf has a long history of use. 1 tablespoon dried nettle leaves 1 cup boiling water 1 teaspoon honey or turbinado sugar, if desired Steep the dried nettles directly in the water and strain, or use a tea ball or cheesecloth. [1] Nettle affects many other health issues, including but not limited to: gout, skin eruptions, detoxifying the body by strengthening and supporting the liver and kidneys, bone health, joint health, hay fever, anemia...and more! Yes, it is actually very safe and delicious to eat! If you don’t have a tea strainer, use tea bags, or put the nettle leaf directly into the glass or mug. % of people told us that this article helped them. You can use this method if you are getting the dried leaves of the plant to use. (Don't use your coffee grinder! To prepare nettle leaf tea, bring 10 ounces of water to a boil over a hot stove, then pour a tablespoon of fresh nettle — or a teaspoon of dried nettle — into the water. However I collected loads of leaves last year and dried them, crumbled them into "tea leaves" and have bottled it ready for use this year. But in a very good way, I say. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b3\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b3\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-1.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Label the jar with what’s inside (very important!). Leave for three or four weeks then dilute for direct use (one part concentrate to 10 parts water). This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d2\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d2\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-10.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Enjoy! Unfortunately, not everyone likes eating Stinging Nettle. READ ALSO: A Complete Guide on How to Store Dried Herbs. When you strain, pour over the strainer into the bowl. You can make it weaker by adding in more water. Add nettles to a blender and blend well. Nettle leaf extract is traditionally available in the form of dried or frozen leaves, creams, ointments and pills. It will last as long as a year if protected. Nettle leaf dried Stinging nettle leaves Organic nettle herbs Dried green nettle Loose leaf tea Wild herbs DecorHandmadebyElena. You can't really taste it, and YEP! List of various diseases cured by Dead Nettle. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Keep your infusion covered while steeping. Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) is full of the entire spectrum of vitamins and minerals we need. I also use it as a soap colorant when I make handmade soaps I want to be a beautiful emerald green. Use your wooden spoon to press down on the herbs left in the strainer to get the liquid out. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 872 times. Tea made with Dried Nettle: In a pot, boil some water. Our organic nettle leaf is harvested from large, deep-rooted stands in Europe and infuses into a tea that is dark and rich in flavor. Step 2) Grind until you have a fine powder. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/91\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-20.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-20.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/91\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-20.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-20.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. I've been drying and powdering Nettle for years using a spice grinder. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/fb\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-18.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-18.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/fb\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-18.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-18.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\u00a9 2020 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Remove any thorns you find while you’re washing the leaves. Some of these substan… Last Updated: November 4, 2019 … You’ll definitely want to … This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/7f\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/7f\/Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-9.jpg\/aid11354291-v4-728px-Use-Nettle-Leaf-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"